Wheat berries are present on many dishes in Chile. They are use on our favorite summer drink, mote con huesillos and also on a very comforting dish, papas con mote. In this salad I used as starting point our traditional salsa: pebre and just add the cooked wheat berries. You end there up with a healthy, refreshing and filling salad.
Mote (wheat berry) Salad
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries according to package directions
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- salt, oil, cumin, Chilean JB sauce or spice chili sauce of your liking
- avocado, chopped hard eggs, cheese like queso fresco, optional
- Wash the tomatoes and cut into 4, remove seeds and chop all into small cubes.
- Wash, dry cilantro leaves, chopped very finely.
- Wash, peel the onion, chop finely.
- In a large bowl mix the tomatoes, cilantro, wheat berries, onion and seasoning with the Chilean chili sauce, salt, vegetable oil, pinch of cumin, stir well and test, gradually adjust the seasoning and amount of cilantro, tomato and onion until it your personal taste.
- Hopefully let sit overnight in the refrigerator or a couple of hours.
- Serve at room temperature, I would add this combination to the bed of lettuce, looks good. You can also add avocado, hard eggs, queso fresco, etc.